Re: [CQ-Contest] Disruption of Emergency Communication during CQWW SSB c

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Disruption of Emergency Communication during CQWW SSB contest
From: "Andreas Kretzschmar" <9y4w@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 21:36:49 +0100

> Unforntunately most of these emergency operations never take place on or
> around the frequencies which are adviced to be used in the IARU bandplans.
> Emergency centres of activity in Region 2 are:
> 80m:3750kHz and 3985kHz.
> 40m: 7060kHz, 7240kHz and 7290kHz.

> Why do they always choose frequencies were typically nobody expects
> emergency communications?

You do have a point. I forwarded your comment to some IARU R2 officials.

Unfortunately the "official" emergency frequencies may not be suitable
at times and not in all areas of a region.
In the Caribbean we have serious problems on 7060 with unlicensed Venezuelan
and Guyanese stations running a high power "net".
7240 and 7290 are still affected by european broadcasting stations.

3815 kHz is, since many years, the Caribbean Emergency and Weather Net,
10:30 and 22:30 UTC every day.
It was used to run some of the emergency traffic during hurricane "TOMAS".