Re: [CQ-Contest] Disruption of Emergency Communication during CQWW SSBco

To: kg5vk@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Disruption of Emergency Communication during CQWW SSBcontest
From: Steve Lott <lottsphoto@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 09:00:04 -0600
Today's Ecom world is much different from what most of us think it may be

The majority of emergency traffic is handled by SATERN or other formal
groups
long gone for the most part are the days of individual Hams offering
assistance

This impacts events where there is not structured Ecom groups on the ground
because average Ham's become complacent about the need

iow we are our own worst enemies
I was on the ground with the USCG during Katrina as a civilian liason
soon after that The league and others made Ecom more a burecratic process
than it ever was today if you want to help you best have all your CEMS exams
done etc etc

Even if you want to help and have all the CEMS and even some real world
experience
you either must belong to a "group" or know someone in the direct chain
or have very deep pockects to just do it all yourself

The days of the average Ham helping are gone, other than listening and
staying off the radio
for most OPS this is a big challenege as they want to contribute, so too m
any belomce complacent about Ecom

We all need to do more listening
even in non emergencies
listening on the transmit frequency
is something few do and even fewer do with any skill

I feel that contesters make the best communicators esp under bad condidtions
of course I am a contester and therefore am biased :)

I blame the league and the counter parts in other countries that fail to
spread the word
hours just before the contest starts
If the need is communicated, I feel the problems of QRM could have been
lessend considerably

Like has been said no contester worth a dam would intentionaly interfere
with emergency traffic

I will also say that I get real tired of being chased off 75 meters during
ARRL Sweepstakes by those that feel they own that band, just because they
talk on it every day religously at a set time
Last year we had several that decided they would follow us all over 75
meters and try to disrupt our use of the band
because we had been calling CQ "too close" to Their Frequency (we had been
there well before their net started) but that did not stop them from chasing
us away and then attempting to disrupt our use of any portion of the band

Just because a net has existed for the last decade on a set frequency does
not make it an owned freq

Why those with ECOM and Nets can not pursue use of the WARC band during a
contest week-end is a mystery
as well as use of PSK and other modes that are more reliable even at less
power.
Again I agree if they are there it is our responsibilty to not interfere
with them, but they have the responsibility to make better choice of the
bands and modes to get their traffic moved on.

end of my nickles worth on the soap box

see ya all in the contest !

Steve
KG5VK