Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Exchange

To: "Rick Lindquist, WW3DE" <ww3de@comcast.net>, <n4zr@contesting.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Exchange
From: "Igor Sokolov" <ua9cdc@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 00:03:43 +0500
> 1. TEST (or CQ) TEST WW3DE WW3DE [Avoid the inclination to add "TEST"
> here,
> since stations will start answering you after you send your call sign
> twice;
> besides, they already know you're calling CQ in the contest]

Suppose I came up on your frequency after you had already sent the word
TEST. What I hear is just your call sign. How do I know whether you are
calling CQ or just calling someone. I think TEST after the call sign is more
fruitful.

> 2. W8EXK
>
> 3. W8EXK 599 DE
>
> 4. TU 599 WV
>
> 5. TU QRZ [I might add "WW3DE" here or send my call sign instead of "QRZ,"
> but avoid appending "TEST." See above.]

IMHO QRZ? is redundant. When you are sure there is someone else waiting for
you, who already knows your call, just sent TU or TU + your call. If nobody
comes back then send your call (once or twice, depending on the rate) +
TEST.
When you send QRZ anyone who came up on frequency during the above QSO does
not know who you are. and have to wait till your next call+test sequence
(more impatient one will send ?). If you do not want them to immediately
know your call (for  pile up management reasons) just sent TU. If pile up is
thin then just add your call to TU. That will allow you to work the next one
in the queue and stop some passer by who will be able to check if he needs
you.

73, Igor UA9CDC