Re: [CQ-Contest] Leveling the Playing Field

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Leveling the Playing Field
From: Barry <w2up@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 19:47:23 -0600
Distance-based scoring is no fairer than the present system.  It does
not take into account difference in N-S locations.  For example, OH and
SM may be the same distance as Italy from a given spot in W/VE, but
proagation isn't even close.  So what's next, an aurora zone multiplier?
Barry W2UP

On 6/23/2011 6:13 AM, James Cain wrote:
> I think trying distance-based scoring in the ARRL DX Contest might be really
> fun, presuming that it would be used to assign points to each contact
> according to Great Circle distance and retaining the DXCC "Countries" List as
> multipliers. Please read carefully -- I said "trying." It would definitely
> give me more reason to participate again next year and probably to spend more
> time in the contest.
>
> I've been doing DX contests for 48 years, from Connecticut, Indiana,
> Wisconsin, New Jersey, Mississippi, and from several Caribbean spots.
>
> I vote YES. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
>
> Jim Cain
> At The K1TN Superstation
> 7 miles east of Mountain, Wisconsin

Barry Kutner, W2UP             Lakewood, CO