Re: [CQ-Contest] Fw: [RRDXA] E73M - I have cheated

To: "'Don Field'" <don.field@gmail.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Fw: [RRDXA] E73M - I have cheated
From: "Christian Schneider" <prickler.schneider@t-online.de>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 08:44:56 +0200
G3XTT wrote
"That said, it's a pity if anyone stops participating because they feel the
organisers are not coming down hard on such cheats. It comes down to why you
participate in the first place. Is it purely to win?"

Thanks Don for being the first who dares to answer. But one point about the
"winning"-motive. We don´t talk about "activity weekends" but by name about
"contests" = competition/comparison. It is not a championship to get one
winner only but to have competition for all. In real sports the majority of
participants are real competitors, on their individual level - or why do
runners sprint between rank 45 and 46 far away from being winners? So I
somewhat don´t like that - mainly biggun - argument "simply participate and
have fun", somewhat neglecting the "small pistols" as competitors. Would you
expect a football team ranking in the middle of the league to play in "fun
mode" when they host the top team of the league - sporting fairness forbid.
But by ham-contesting arguments we would advise the team to "simply have
fun" and take it easy as they have no chance to win.

Regarding power I see not much cure as it may be difficult for organizers to
make a DQ based on hardware description and RBN-values. So not the
organizers are to be blamed when more and more people loose more and more
motivation for contesting (as I do, too). Quite a few developments let some
things look like a travesty of contesting and we may not be too far in
credebility from professional cycling. But that is of course individual
perception and "new blood" not prevented.

And fun to be had is not prevented, too, especially in the really fine
IOTA-contest.

73, Chris

(www.dl8mbs.de)