Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU HQ Callsigns

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU HQ Callsigns
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 17:21:11 -0400
OIC. The rules are specific. It doesn't mean that there cannot be two stations on the two modes on simultaneously from ID'ing themselves as W1AW, for example, but they should have the same call on the same band.

It seems that the rules are redundant - why not have numerous stations from a country IDing themselves as a HQ station, that would mean that N8XX could be designated as a HQ station and give out ARRL, why W8XX could be on the same band and ID as ARRL but the multiplier would go with the HQ ID, NOT the station ID. That would givepeople in countries with a large geographical footprint, such as China, Russian, Canada, Australia, Chile, to name a few, a better chance of working their own HQ station on all bands.

But, that's up to next year's contest rules deliberation.

72/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of the time

On 7/9/2013 12:00 PM, cq-contest-request@contesting.com wrote:
Message: 4 Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 19:20:55 -0700 From: Tree <tree@kkn.net> To: cq-contest@contesting.com Subject: [CQ-Contest] IARU HQ Callsigns Message-ID: <20130709022055.GA18235@kkn.net> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Saw this recently posted:
>The Radio Club Argentino LU4AA and the LUCG (LU Contest Group) put together a
team for the upcoming IARU HF Championship next weekend and several  stations will
be giving out the RCA multiplier.

>Stations as follows - hosts in parenthesis - :
>
>10 SSB: LR1D
>10 CW LR2H
>15 SSB LR0H
>15 CW LR0F

This appears to conflict with the following rule for the IARU contest:

"4.3.3. Only one HQ station callsign per member society per frequency band is
permitted."

The rules can be found here:http://www.arrl.org/iaru-hf-championship

I would interpret a "frequency band" as being all of 10 meters for example.

This is likely the case because of the way the multiplier rule is worded:

"Multipliers: The total number of ITU zones plus IARU member society HQ stations
worked on each band (not mode)."

In the case above - I am sure the intent of the rules would not have been to
count LR1D and LR2H as two multpliers in the contest.

Tree N6TR