Re: [CQ-Contest] WARC Bands and Contesting: Aargh! FAQ Update

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WARC Bands and Contesting: Aargh! FAQ Update
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:20:53 -0700

Yes, you and I see things the same way probably 95% of the time, but this time we are polar opposites. I find it highly unsettling that such a high profile member of the contest community as yourself would publicly advocate an escalation of the confrontation between contesters and non-contesters in what is essentially the same fraternity of hobbyists. I hear very little public grousing against the space contesters use on major weekends anymore, mostly because there is so little non-contest activity on the bands anymore, and what little I do hear doesn't come from anyone high enough in profile worry about. Nobody of any note is trying to steal our space.

In any case, nothing is really preventing us from using whatever spectrum space we need for contesting any time we need it other than the long-standing prohibition against contests on the WARC bands. We aren't being excluded from those 80% of weekends and 100% of weekdays ... we simply haven't bothered to encroach upon them.

I see no jeopardy here for us at all, and certainly none worth picking a fight over. I would bet that well over 80% of the energy density expended by hams in general over the course of a year is now derived from some sort of contest activity (something an analysis of the RBN database might possibly verify). We've been at the peak of the sunspot cycle and still the bands are virtually dead outside of a contest. We (contesters) are the 800 pound gorilla, and 800 pound gorillas don't need to pick a fight to eat where they want to.

If you want to capture a higher percentage of that energy density, just create a few more interesting large scale contests on other weekends and things will take care of themselves. But guess what? If you do that, do you know who is going to gripe the loudest? Not the DXers and not the ragchewers. It will be the smaller contest and QSO party sponsors who complain that they are being squeezed out.

Besides, as a hobby we need more accommodation, not less. We hams aren't relevant in the least to anyone except ourselves anymore, and magnifying internal squabbles hardly serves our best interests when it comes to trying to justify our existence. Count me out.

73,
Dave   AB7E