Re: [CQ-Contest] WARC Bands and Contesting: Aargh! FAQ Update

To: "'David Gilbert'" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WARC Bands and Contesting: Aargh! FAQ Update
From: "Bob Naumann" <W5OV@W5OV.COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 06:52:08 -0500
Again, that would solve nothing.

And, to summarize my perspective on all of this: Contesters are not
second-class citizens of the amateur bands.

We do not need to go looking for a fight, either.  We *do need* to stand up
for ourselves when and if challenged.

Some organizations entertain the idea of "contest band segments" and the
like to appease non-contesters. No!

We, as licensed amateurs, have totally equal rights to use the bands as
non-contesters do, and those who object to what we do should be told to mind
their own business AND told that they don't have any right to seek to
restrict what we do in any way whatsoever.

The facts support my claim that non-contesters get to enjoy a clear majority
of the time without a *major* contest going on and that *they need to be
tolerant* of other users of the spectrum!

Yes, they need to be tolerant of contesters who might use (or get within a
few kHz of) *their* net frequency a few times a year.

Let's face it, there are really only 5 weekends where the SSB bands are
pretty much wall to wall with contesting: ARRLSSB, WPXSSB, FIELD DAY, SS SSB
and CQWWSSB.  We also have the IARU, but that one is only 24 hours.  So 5.5
weekends have major contests on them.  They should be happy with getting the
other 46.5 without a major contest going on.

We don't need to escalate anything but we certainly should not kowtow to
non-contesters and give in to their untenable demands.

They are wrong!  Yes, they are WRONG. It needs to be said clearly.

Why not tell them the truth?  They are unreasonable and their demands should
not be given any legitimacy whatsoever.

We know that some amateur organizations are loath to stand up for
contesters, and instead of doing what's right, they attempt to appease and
coddle these whiners. That should not happen.

What should happen is that these non-contesters should be advised of the
facts, and that they need to be tolerant.
This may mean that they need to cancel having their "net" one weekend or
move it to another frequency, or possibly go to the contest-free WARC band
for that one session.
They need to understand that their use of the spectrum is no more worthy
than what a contester is doing.

Shocking perhaps, but true.

While the rancor may have diminished recently, and I am thankful for that,
it could rear its ugly head again - likely at the beginning of November.
(Right after the CQWW SSB).

Why should we not stand up for what's right?

73,

Bob W5OV