Re: [CQ-Contest] Callers on EXACTLY the same frequency

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Callers on EXACTLY the same frequency
From: George K5KG via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 08:57:10 -0500
There were many stations calling DX stations dead zero beat (or nearly so) on their frequency. This, of course, masked who the DX station was responding to, and was commonplace during the entire contest.

I was able to successfully break many of these pileups by calling 30-40 Hz above the frequency. If I missed the DX station's response, which happened many times due to the incessant callers, I would send a "?". Many times that would trigger the DX station to send my call during that quiet moment, thereby allowing me to complete the Qso. If I felt that the DX station was picking up callers below his frequency, I would call 30-40 Hz below the frequency.

I am providing this explanation in hopes that others will learn to NOT call dead zero beat on the DX station's frequency.

73, George, K5KG