Re: [CQ-Contest] Additional Penalty

To: kzerohb@gmail.com, CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Additional Penalty
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 08:35:18 -0500 (CDT)
 Hans,

If I'm not mistaken (not that it wouldn't be the first time), the penalty
assessed against the log for inaccurate entries dates back to the days of
manual logs... the days when we all scribbled the log as best we could (ok,
some used typewriters, that's not the point) during the contest, then
(sometimes) copies or retyped the actual logs sent in.  The purpose, IIRC, of
the penalty was to ensure that the submitted log had been checked for accuracy
against typos... and of course that the actual contact was recorded correctly.

If your point is that in today's time, with the vast majority of logs being
created in a computer and submitted electronically, and with most contests now
accepting duplicates without penalty, the need for a penalty for inaccurate log
entries may no longer be necessary... I tend to agree in general, run-on
sentences not withstanding.

Even so, knowing that a given contest will assess a penalty for broken calls
recorded does give one additional incentive to get it right the first time,
don't you think?

73, ron w3wn