Re: [CQ-Contest] Thoughts on DQs in CQWW

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Thoughts on DQs in CQWW
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2017 11:04:39 -0600
I would agree on the self spotting. We already have self spotting on CW and RTTY in the way of skimmers and the RBN. It would not be an issue if we had a SSB equivalent. On SSB being spotted is an advantage and I understand where it is unfair to those being allowed to do the same and I understand the need to disallow the use. I bet plenty of people self spotted but were smarter about it and have never got caught. We need to discuss changes to this rule and see if there is common ground to allow it in SSB. What is the difference between self spotting and placing a skimmer that reports to the RBN next door to your station so that you are spotted all the time?

Does calling up mults and asking them to work you equal a self spot now? It didn't used to be allowed but I have heard of a number times this was done. A big MM in the Caribbean did this, broke records and then they told us how wonderful they were. Some of those players are still contesting today and were/are highly regarded by many. That same group used Alpha 77 Exports, why would you import these amps unless you intended to use them to their full capacity. They were not used for RTTY where you might want some head room for the duty cycle. I was given a tour of what remained of the station by the owner. He told me about all the phone calls and scheduling of contacts. This was a country that at one point had a 400 watt power limit and then it was raised to 1000w later. Excessive power is cheating and it is abused in all power class categories. I have been told that most of the USA ops have cleaned up their acts. This tells me we had/have a cheating problem. Personally, I think plenty are still running big power in the USA. Once again really hard to prove unless they fess up or you stop by. Plenty of people have knowledge of this but, hey wink wink.

How many people worked that famous DX-peditioner who was later reported that he didn't quite follow the rules? The only way he was caught is that he talked about it and it got out.

Remote receivers are abundant and nearly impossible to detect. These are a huge advantage especially on the low bands. This is already a huge thing, whether people want to admit it or not. Having a receiver on the east coast of the USA while being in the West would be a huge advantage.

I used to think Ham Operators held themselves to a higher standard. They don't. People will cheat at anything to get ahead. Online gaming where there are generally, no awards, prizes or otherwise has a big cheating problem. It takes just a small percentage of cheaters to effect it for all. Some people that I knew, trusted and never would have ever thought they would cheat were. People are programmed to take the path of least resistance. Read some studies why people lie. There are eye opening.

We all are effected by just one cheater. When some get away with things, others will find out and try themselves and the push is on. How many logs were padded with contacts in the past? How close did one person get from getting away with it in a huge way? Without public logs and scrutiny on those logs, that guy would have never been caught. What is sad is that person is a great operator, just like many of the online gamers. Why do those that don't need to cheat, do it anyway? I suppose there are psychological reasons for doing it.

How can you know that you have never been affected by cheating? Most cheating has gone undetected for years. I have no way to know if my scores were affected by people cheating or not.

How many people worked stations outside there band in the last contest? How many worked the station and then later changed their log frequency and got away with it? Those that worked those stations had their QSO's removed so the impact on the contest was nil. This is the first year that it became a big deal. Are you telling me that the moons all aligned in 2016 and a bunch of people all felt compelled to work stations outside their bands or maybe it was the first year it was really looked into? Since there is so little transparency in the adjudication process, people outside the process have little knowledge of how much or how little cheating is really going on.

When this topic came up a few months ago, I did get an email from a person that was in charge of a contest and was told that there is plenty of foul play going on where it would be hard for many of us to believe.

We don't want to embarrass those we compete with. They are our friends and would never do anything wrong and they count on this sentiment. The list of people that worked stations outside the band in the 2016 WW has some very big Names (calls) and they were protected. Some were honest mistakes. Many were calculated gambles or just don't care that they are out of band.

I have no clue what rampant means. I also have no clue what percent of entrants have been found to be cheating or failing to follow the rules of the contest. I would hope that 90 to 95 percent of us are doing it right.

We have a cheating problem. It saddens me that people are so eager to ignore it.

W0MU