Re: [CQ-Contest] Self-spotting explanation from CQWW blog

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self-spotting explanation from CQWW blog
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 08:29:36 -0600
I agree 100% with Rich's assessment, comments and suggestions.

I, too, have suggested that self-spotting be allowed, subject to conditions on how often, and under what circumstances. The resistance I have received has come from a few of the world top-10 SOAB competitors. They are concerned that they will be at a competitive disadvantage due to their perceived internet connectivity issues. With just a little creative thinking, there are solutions to that problem, too. For example, how hard would it be to set up a packet RF-to-internet gateway for self spotting on VHF or HF ? Such things were very common in the early days of the internet, 20 years ago. Before the internet, there was even a 30 meter band network for interconnecting VHF packet clusters.

73,
Steve, N2IC