[CQ-Contest] Encouraging Casual Participation in Contests

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Encouraging Casual Participation in Contests
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 10:23:19 -0400
We all agree, I think, that casual participants are a critical part of the total workable population in contests. I spent the first 40 years of my contesting career working contests as a quick and relatively easy source of award credits, and I suspect a large majority of the stations in any contest are doing some variation on this.

There is a reasonably simple and straight-forward way to encourage more of this, potentially yielding more people for us to work. We need interconnection between CQ and ARRL contest databases, so that any contact that is in both stations' log in a given contest can be claimed for ARRL and CQ award credit without going through the QSL card process.

I'm not underestimating the programming effort involved, I hope, but surely some combination of volunteer and professional staff involvement can get it done. It could start small - perhaps a pilot involving the CQWW open log database and DXCC. Imagine the value added to LOTW if it were the hub for this process, and the potential increase in DXCC fees. Surely, this is a win-win proposition.

--

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network