Re: [CQ-Contest] Encouraging Casual Participation in Contests

To: "'Bill Parry'" <bparry@rgv.rr.com>, <lu5dx@lucg.com.ar>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Encouraging Casual Participation in Contests
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 16:38:08 -0400
Bill,

I agree in principle that a quantity discount would be nice to have.
Especially if you're submitting 1000 cards at $.12 each...  Namely $120

However, let's keep things in perspective.  If you have to request the
physical 1000 cards from the domestic and DX stations, how much will it cost
you to obtain them?

Let's say 400 of those cards are from US stations or US managers.  So that's
400 letters sent at about $.49 each for first class postage... That's $196
right there.  Plus cost of cards and envelopes.  And if you have an SASE in
with each, that's $392 just for postage.  Easily can be another $100 for
envelopes and cards.  So you're looking at about $500.  For the domestic 400
cards, we haven't even gotten into the other 600 DX cards.

Suddenly, that $120 doesn't look too bad, does it?

73, ron w3wn