Re: [CQ-Contest] Encouraging Casual Participation in Contests

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Encouraging Casual Participation in Contests
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 10:45:05 -0700
On Sat,4/29/2017 1:38 PM, Ron Notarius W3WN wrote:
For the domestic 400
cards, we haven't even gotten into the other 600 DX cards.

My average cost of requesting a card from a DX operator or DX QSL mgr by snail mail has risen to $3.50. And I find that in some countries, I have to send 3-4 cards to get one return.

I started over on all awards 11 years ago when I moved from W9 to W6. I would have felt like a cheater to have done otherwise. I'm up to 320 countries, 2,400 band-countries, and several hundred islands. The cost of paper QSLs for DXCC would be about $1,120, and for those 2400 band countries an additional $7,300. Using LOTW, those costs would be $38.40 and $250 respectively.

Several years ago, W6OAT and NI6T got me interested in the CQ Field award. They accept eQSL, with the submission being a screen print of the eQSL. When I asked, the manager agreed to accept a screen print of LOTW QSL. That allowed me to go through my paper cards, eQSL, and LOTW, and prepare a submission for about 165 Fields -- I needed to request only a dozen or so more by snail mail to qualify for Honor Roll (175 fields). And the coordinator was willing to designate W6OAT as a card checker, so I didn't have to mail the submission anywhere.

And don't even think about using the Bureau system -- I gave up on it about five years ago, when turn-around times reached 4-5 years, if I got a return at all. For about three years, my policy has been to send paper cards only for QSOs confirmed by LOTW. At the same time, I stopped responding to the mountain of Bureau cards from contesters, nearly all in AS, who send a card for every contest QSO. My W9DXC card sorter told me several years ago that I got more cards than all the other calls combined.

73, Jim K9YC