Re: [CQ-Contest] KU1CW location

To: cq-contest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KU1CW location
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2017 04:25:19 +0100
On 02/06/2017 21:30, W4AAW@xxxxxxx via CQ-Contest wrote:

<snip>

2. ... We have 31 team members who operate W4AAW's positions from all over NA,
from Panama, Europe and Asia, provided they meet legal/licensing requirements.

My information is that such team-W4AAW contest entries, with
remote operator(s) not physically located on US territory and
not in possession of personal US licences, are in contravention
of the US legal/licensing requirements for remote operation.

It seems to me that contest entries which include unlicensed
or unlawful operation should be disallowed, and struck from the
records.

<snip>

W1VE and other serious operators of remote-capable stations will agree with me:
 We remote-capable stations are not trying to fool anyone or gain some sort of
geographical or unfair advantage.  We're just being competitive and striving to
do so strictly within the rules.

It goes without saying that other remote enthusiasts will agree
with W4AAW. I don't.  I see it as abuse of both ham radio and
contesting. I believe Team-W4AAW's total dependence on communicating
over public networks demeans ham radio and devalues all their
contacts. I look forward to remote entries competing only with
one another.

73,
Paul EI5DI