Re: [CQ-Contest] KU1CW location

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KU1CW location
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2017 16:51:10 +0100
Earlier in this thread, W4AAW claimed that "We have 31 team members
who operate W4AAW's positions from all over NA, from Panama, Europe
and Asia, provided they meet legal/licensing requirements".

I'm not so sure.  Here is what is required of remote operators as
stated on Page 9 of QST for April 2015.

  "For operation across international borders,
  both the operator and the station must be licensed by the
  administration where the transmitter is located. CEPT
  Recommendation T/R 61-01 does not apply: if, for example, a
  European amateur wants to operate a remote station that’s
  located in the United States, he or she must have an FCC
  license."

That's clear and unambiguous. All team-W4AAW members operating
from non-US countries must have a US licence for the operation
as a whole to meet legal/licensing requirements.

Some recent contest entries by team-W4AAW did NOT comply with
this requirement - at least one team-W4AAW overseas operator
did not have an FCC licence at those times.

If team-W4AAW knew this, they were flouting the law. If they
did not know it, they should have known.  Either way, the
entries concerned were unlicensed.

Have we got to the stage in contesting where this no
longer matters?

73,
Paul EI5DI