Re: [CQ-Contest] Elecraft KPA 1500 vs.OM 2000A

To: "rjairam@gmail.com" <rjairam@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Elecraft KPA 1500 vs.OM 2000A
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 00:16:20 +0000
I have little RF amplifier knowledge however I believe that your 66:1 SWR
comment is for pulsed service which has a much lower duty cycle than a
typical amateur radio transmission, especially the popular FT8 mode.  A
higher duty cycle with high SWR creates more heat that needs to be
dissipated. A LDMOS can definitely fail, even on commercial amps with
protection circuits.

John KK9A

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy 7 edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.