[RFI] New to the list - searching for 80 meters noise

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] New to the list - searching for 80 meters noise
From: "joe" <jitaliano@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 08:29:39 -0600
Hello guys.  I've been reading your achieves for days but had to subscribe to
describe my problem.  On 80 meter ssb, during the day this winter I have an S5
ambient noise level.  At night it is S9+5.  At first I thought this was band
conditions but talking to others on 80 made me think it wasn't.

Finally, this morning as I stared at the s meter, at precisely 7.54 am CST, the
noise instanteneously went from the s9+5 to s5.  It behaved like someone
flipped a switch.

I have located a street light that is out about 450 feet from my house, but all
the other street lights turn off at 7am, so I doubt it is that.  I have called
the power company on that light.

I've looking for advice on how to proceed.  I'm thinking it's still a
streetlight, or these lawn lights that are all over the neighborhood.  I don't
have a portable receiver yet, but may need to buy something to help with this
problem.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Joe