Re: [RFI] All band handheld receivers

To: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] All band handheld receivers
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 08:51:52 -0500
Another option to consider is a small handi-talki that has wideband RX
capabilities plus the ability to transmit.  I picked up an IC-QA at Dayton for
under $100, including 144 and 432 transmit.  It only receives down to the FM
band, and no CW - importantly, however, it receives AM over its entire range,
which makes it invaluable for narrowing things down to a particular pole,
especially when used with a small yagi or Moxon.

In my case, I use my car radio at the high end of the AM band, then go to a
small, inexpensive SW receiver to get closer, and finish up with the Icom on
136 MHz AM.  My local power company just loves it when I give them specific
pole numbers.

73, Pete N4ZR