[RFI] All band handheld receivers

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] All band handheld receivers
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 23:54:26 +0000
Has anyone tried one of the miniature handheld receivers, like the Yaesu VR-500 or Icom IC-R series?

Seems like it would be a good receiver for casual listening and rf noise sniffing purposes.

Looking at the specs and some comments on the web, I would think the VR-500 would be a better deal than the Icom ones. The IC-R5 is less expensive, but has no SSB or CW capability, and tunes in 5 kHz steps. The others are far more expensive than the VR-500.

But I am wondering just how well do those things pick up signals.

Also, do they have a headphone/ext speaker jack for better fidelity reception than with the tiny speaker?

For anyone who purchased one, do you think it was worth the bucks?

I am looking for a portable receiver with at least fair reception from MW broadcast band up through 10m with a whip antenna, for running down ever-increasing sources of noise and interference.

Don k4kyv