Re: [RFI] RFI from street lights - finding source?

To: gswynar@durham.net, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI from street lights - finding source?
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 10:02:54 EDT

In a message dated 10/13/2007 7:36:05 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gswynar@durham.net writes:

HINT:  when you call the works department, do NOT tell them that you're a  Ham
plagued with noise! You'll end up on the proverbial back burner.  Instead,
tell them that your XYL enjoys walking the dog around the block at  sun set,
& she's afraid to venture forth into the neighbourhood now  because of the
resultant darkness caused by the defective  lamp.

Sometimes you also need to be creative with the local electric  company.

A couple of years ago, a few blocks from my house a side mounted insulator
on a high voltage line (13.6 kv, I think) broke at a bend in the road,
resulting  with that high voltage line drooping across the low voltage service
entrance to a home. (It was also making RF noise).  I called the utility's
usual
noise troubleshooting guy, but nothing happened for a week or so.

I then called back and left a voice mail to the effect of "I hope nothing
bad happens at this location because it sure would be inconvenient if I had to
testify in court that the electric company knew about this for over a week
and did nothing".

It got fixed the next day.

73  -  Jim   K8MR