Re: [RFI] RFI from street lights - finding source?

To: Barry N1EU <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI from street lights - finding source?
From: dj <dj2001x@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 14:38:49 -0500
Yep, I've had a number of street lights with the exact same noise.
For whatever reason, ballast, light sensor, etc, the light starts to
cycle on and off.  When the light is off you won't hear any noise.
When the light starts coming on dim and slowly gets brighter that is
when you hear the noise gradually building in strength for a few
seconds.  The light gets to full brightness and stays lit for a
little while then turns off again starting the whole process all over
again.  I've found these malfunctioning street lights up to several
blocks away causing S9 noise on 75 meters.  You'll have to drive
around at night to find them.  If you can't find anything on your
street you'll have to go out further, up to a few blocks away.  A
light malfunctioning on your street, maybe a half a block away will
be 20 to 40 over S-9.  3 or 4 blocks away S-7 - S-9, weaker the
farther away of course.

Call either the city street maintenance office or your local power
company.  It varies as to who has responsibility for the street
lights.  In my city it is Xcel Energy, the local power company.

Good luck
Dale, K9VUJ