[RFI] RFI from satellite modem

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] RFI from satellite modem
From: AE5B <ae5b@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 23:16:09 -0600
Nothing is ever easy.

A little pimply faced kid showed up at the ranch to install my Wildblue System.
That was the high point of the day. Without going into all the gory details,
bottom line is that I have S8 broadband noise on 30,40,75 and 160. I checked the
installation and found several things amiss. To begin with, the ground screw on
the dish was backed off but had nothing attached. No ground on the terminal
block either. Other then the fact that the installation violates code, I am
wondering if some type of ground might help. I am aware that a piece of rod
stuck in the ground is not a magic sucking wand but... A few other things about
this quality installation.Not sure what the bending radius on their coax is
supposed to be but the drip loops have a radius of one inch. Throw in a couple
of hard 90 degree turns and ...well you know what I am saying. Almost forgot,
the coax immediately behind one of the terminals has the inner material so
bunched up and stretching the outer cover so that it looks like a snake
swallowed a frog. I guess he is training to be CB installer when he gets grown
up.

Oh yes, the Cisco Wireless router that I installed has more birdies then
Hitchcock's movie...and they are just as nasty. Will worry about that problem
after I get the modem tamed.

Any ideas as to where I should start.

John
AE5B