[TenTec] "Remember, it's a computer."

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] "Remember, it's a computer."
From: george.skoubis@verizon.net (George Skoubis)
Date: Sun Mar 16 22:25:36 2003
Hi,

Actually the majority of 'critical' applications probably still run on
OS390 mainframes.

Big Bank processing, insurance companies, large retailers, all still use
COBOL to do their most critical processing (PAYROLL / Check production
are the ones I'm most interested in!).

I'm a "big iron" programmer as well as a unix programmer, we have a good
time teasing the unix admins about moving our critical stuff to their
"toy" boxes when they start running 24/365 like OS390 (we do still have
to cycle OS390 and unix boxes for certain system upgrades, don't let
anyone tell you different, it's not true).

There are more applications switching to unix and linux everyday as the
servers get faster and more reliable, but OS390 is still king for big
business...

Since our network drive servers, printer servers, and desktops switched
to Win2000 variants our desktop systems have become more reliable also.
My work desktop hasn't crashed in months and I run 2 mainframe
emulators, 3 unix emulators, word, excel, IE, MS Messenger, and
UltraEdit simultaneously every work day.

When I set up my home computer I do it in a scientific manner.  Install
the bare OS (XP Pro and Win 2k Pro for my computers, Win 98 SE for the
kids gaming computers), install the most important application and
configure it, test it thoroughly to ensure it runs without errors, image
the disk, install the next application, configure, test, etc...  I have
multiple partitions with multiple operating systems on all of my
computers, if there is a new application I want to try out I install and
test it on a "test" operating system before it makes it to my
"production" operating system.

I do admit that I run linux on my home domain server / print server /
back up all my important files (including the whole writelog directory!)
to a network drive because I feel having important data on a couple
different operating systems reduces the risk of a virus destroying all
my data files.

73,

George / KF9YR