[TenTec] Orion Semi-BK-in

To: <tentec@contesting.com>, <orion565@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Semi-BK-in
From: "Bill Coleman" <n2bc@stny.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 19:28:12 -0500
I rarely use QSK.  The majority of my operation is casual BSing on CW. Heck,
semi-break-in is a pain sometimes & I just mash the Transmit button on the
Kenwood to lock it in TX until I'm finished with a long transmission.  Some
days I would rather have a Push-to-listen switch....

I'm waiting for my Orion now.    I plan to add an external PTT relay for CW
use.  I'll set the Orion up to use the QSK loop.  One normally open point
will connect TX OUT to TX ENABLE (I assume that TX OUT is really the CW key
closure).  Another normally open point will switch the amp into TX.    For
CW contesting, I'll have the software control the relay.

For a 'normal' non-QSK amp this setup might be a problem as the Orion RX
will be looking into the amp's input circuit between bits and words.  My amp
is not quite normal and when it's in transmit the RX input will be grounded
(TX input to the amp is low level (milliwatts) & comes from the transverter
output port on the Orion)

Anywho, it looks like an external solution is fairly simple.  But I'd rather
the Orion provide a choice & let me choose.

I really don't like the delay solution either.   I'd like to see the mic
jack PTT behave the same on CW as it does on SSB - go into TX and stay there
until I switch it back, at least I hope that's how it works!  Pls don't tell
me I HAVE to use VOX too!.

If it's implementable with a software change, then there's hope!

73, Bill   N2BC