Re: [TenTec] Many Orions for sale

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Many Orions for sale
From: Bob Henderson <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 06:31:06 +0000
Grant Youngman wrote:

All of the useful suggestions about sequencing and other ways to

approach the functionality some of you can't live without have been ignored -- at least by all of the loudest mouths, who don't seem to want to hear anything but themselves and simply relish the opportunity to toss one of several currently popular insults at anyone who just doesn't see it their way.

Grant

With respect, I think you miss the point entirely. Work arounds may be possible and may be adopted by some but there is a question mark over whether they should, or need, be necessary.

You see, it has long been a de facto standard so far as amateur radio is concerned that a PTT line which floats on receive and is pulled down on transmit is provided. I don't think manufacturers got together and agreed this, rather I think it's one of those things that just happened. Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom all provide this as did Heath, Collins, KW and I imagine pretty much everyone else.

Whether standards emerge by default or design it doesn't really matter, folks come to rely upon them anyway, and so it is with this. That is why all logging software I am aware of, whether contest oriented or otherwise, provides an output for PTT control.

Ten Tec for their own reasons have chosen not to adhere to this de facto standard, upon which many contesters have come to rely. Competitive contest stations are inherently more complex than the average. Nevertheless, it is probably quite possible to re-engineer these stations to accomodate the abscence of PTT control on the Orion. Having said that, I have doubts it will happen in too many places and that may well loose Ten Tec sales they would otherwise have. My limited experience so far, shows the Orion to be excellent in many ways, so that would be a great pity.

As I already said; Ten Tec for their own reasons have diverged from the de facto standard. If it's straight forward for them to comply it would likely make eminent commercial sense to do so. Avoidable but unavoided barriers to sale are a curse of good business.

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F