Re: [TenTec] TT Orion: Also SEMI-BK-IN possible ?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT Orion: Also SEMI-BK-IN possible ?
From: "Paul Christensen, Esq." <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 21:18:20 -0500
> Yep, about half of the callsign of stations calling you, which means
repeats,
> slowing down.
> You either operate with QSK and torture and burn the relays, or semi QSK
with
> delays and miss calls and exchanges.

Yuri:

As Carl points out, the Orion (and like my Omni Six and Pegasus), the amp is
keyed ahead of any actual RF output from the rig.   Here's what I think you
are suggesting:

The CW contest card holds the amp key line only long enough for the duration
of characters or words...not keyed elements.   The latter would result in
full QSK which is not what you want due to the potential relay burn problem.

Alternatively, using semi-break-in could accomplish the same (at one CW
speed), except that each time the CW speed is changed, a new semi-break-in
delay parameter is required.

This makes more sense now.

Now, in the case of a TT transceiver,  I fail to see why any additional work
is required above and beyond that required for a JA radio.  Does the contest
card supply two independent outputs?  One for PTT and the other to the radio
key line?  Or is this an isolation issue due to one contest card output
running to two destinations?  Either way, it seems to me that the same
issues and the number of connections are required for TT or a JA rig.  If
the card has two outputs, why not connect output 1 to the amp key line and
output 2 to the Orion CW key line and leave the Orion only in QSK?  If the
card has one output, nothing more than a pair of steering diodes should be
required to attain isolation.  But if there's only one card output,
isolation is still an issue for a JA rig.

Where is the difference?

-Paul, W9AC