Re: [TenTec] Orion Filter Controls

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Filter Controls
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 09:34:13 -0600
> Not on mine it doesn't!  When I adjust the low cut control the whole
> passband image moves back and forth.  I agree the upper side should
be
> anchored but it ain't!>

There was a problem with that display image (and actually affected PBT
when low cut was used) that caused it to behave in the way you describe,
but that was fixed last May in 1.341.  I checked it again, in all four SSB
and CW modes (just to see if there was a mode dependent difference).
The high edge wiggles a bit (plus or minus a line width or two perhaps),
but doesn't slide when lo cut is cranked around.

> It's starting to appear that Ten Tec must have reserved a special
> Orion for you, Grant.  Yours doesn't seem to suffer from any of the
> gremlins affecting others.

I wish :-)

There are several reasons that I go to the radio and see if the "new"
gremlins affect it.  First, it may be a feature I don't use much -- for
example I haven't played much with the voice recording features that are
also being discussed.  Second,  for many of us who have had the radio
for a long time there's a tendency for the "niggles" to pass into the realm
of things that aren't noticed any more.  If something is inconsequential, it
becomes inconsequential.  Doesn't mean it isn't still there, just means it's
not getting in the way.  So I may not actively recall that the "XYZ bug" or
whatever is a problem, even though it's still there.

> What version of firmware are you running?  Mine is 1.366, as 1.367
> brought with it an unwelcome sidetone bug.

I'm on 1.367, but I don't recall noticing any changes in that area from
1.366.

Grant/NQ5T