Re: [TenTec] Orion Filter Controls

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Filter Controls
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 14:28:12 -0500
If TT is listening (watching). Here's my suggestion. I'm sure it could be
done with just a firmware change, but the labelling on the front panel would
have to be changed for the purists.

Instead of having Hi Cut and Low Cut share a knob and BW and PBT share a
knob, it would make more sense if Hi Cut and BW shared a knob and Low Cut
and PBT shared a knob, so that you could have Hi Cut and Low Cut knobs
active at the same time, or PBT and BW.  Generally, when you want to adjust
BW, you are more likely to want to adjust PBT. Similarly, when you want to
adjust Hi Cut, you may also want to adjust Low Cut.  Maybe TT figured that
having the related controls on the same knob, thus made more sense, but I'd
rather not have to be pushing the knob all the time to change the function.

Another nice touch would be to have the radio automatically default to the
knobs as Hi Cut and Low Cut or to BW and PBT (assuming the functions are
reaaranged as suggested above), depending on the mode. Normally in SSB, you
would find Hi Cut and Low Cut more convenient for eliminating adjacent QRM.
With CW, you're most likely just going to adjust the BW to eliminate QRM and
PBT to tune in non zero beat signals.

Just my suggestions.

Mark