Re: [TenTec] Orion Filter Controls

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Filter Controls
From: Bob Henderson <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 22:05:48 +0000
Grant, I don't know why mine behaves differently to yours but I understand from Lee, KC9CDT that his also behaves the way mine does.

I have just looked closely at mine again and can confirm the following:

When on USB, Hi Cut is depicted correctly on the graphic but Lo Cut is not. When Lo Cut is adjusted the graphic shows the whole passband shifting.
The opposite is true on LSB, Lo Cut is depicted correctly but Hi-Cut causes a complete passband shift as depicted by the graphic.

The issue is therefore sideband dependent but in any event it is only the depiction that is incorrect. What actually happens to the passband when the cut controls are adjusted appears to be correct.

All very interesting but only a niggle.

_The synthesiser control issue is by far the hot potato here_.

73

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F

Grant Youngman wrote:

justification in my mind. Though if we are to have a Low cut

control,

it would be dandy if the graphical representation reflected its
effect.

It does.

Here it is with no LOW cut: http://home1.gte.net/nq5t/Misc/DSCN2893.jpg

And here it is with LOW cut active:
http://home1.gte.net/nq5t/Misc/DSCN2894.jpg.

It's consistent across modes, and doesn't really matter what the initial bandwidth, etc. is. Looks right to me, with a tolerance of a line width or two on the high end of the response display, as I mentioned before.

Still don't understand why our two essentially identical radios don't work the same way.

One thing I would like to see changed with the "cut" control is to have a long press restore the conditions that existed BEFORE cut (either high or low) was invoked. Although the issue is not so simple -- since BW or PBT may have been used in the meantime, and there may be both Hi and LOW cuts used, etc. -- so what the heck would you restore to?

Perhaps a "read my mind" interface would help --- :-)

Grant/NQ5T