Re: [TenTec] BPL Update

To: <johnclif@ix.netcom.com>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] BPL Update
From: "Stuart Rohre" <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:19:43 -0600
John,
The reason hams should be concerned now, before the beast gets fully out the
BPL door, is that all you have to do is look at how ineffective the FCC was
in controlling CB radio.   How many of the illegal high power amplifiers did
they prevent from coming into the USA, and being sold to CB'ers?
You surely have seen them for sale at ham swaps, those untuned and poorly
filtered, amps from no name companies.  I have seen a dozen at one ham swap.
The few the FCC intercepted were truck loads.

Indeed, as you say, although FCC can cause power companies to fix power line
noise that becomes RF borne, how many times have you heard power line noise
and the FCC came to town and got it fixed???----I am waiting to hear of more
than one case, and that was still pending with no resolution last I heard.
Do you think the FCC is able to shut down a power line?   Then, they won't
be able to shut down a BPL line once it is widely used, either!

You get rid of the insect problem before they multiply.
BPL has the potential to be the cockroach of the RF world.
-Stuart
K5KVH