[TenTec] ORION for 144/14 MHz TRV - operation 14.000 - 14.400

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] ORION for 144/14 MHz TRV - operation 14.000 - 14.400
From: Jiri Sanda <sanda@jimaz.cz>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:43:20 +0200
Hi,

I have bought 2 pcs of ORIONs recently. I am very happy with their performance on HF. I wanted originaly and want still to use them on VHF too.

I have two DB6NT TR144H transverters - by the way probably the best ones on the market, and since the problems with close in dynamics on 2m is specially here in Europe much worse than for instance on 40m. I wanted to use the ORIONs - without any doubt the BEST radio on the market now - too. Since I had IC775DSP and FT1000MP-5 I bought those TR 144H with 14 MHz as IF - the IP/DR of both ICOM and YAESU radios is cosiderably better on 20m than for transvertors conventional 10m. (Not only my own measurements but also measuremnts of others - to name a just a few reliable ones: G3SEK or RSGB....) and here my fundamental problem comes - ORIONs main RX and TX works only up to 14.360. I would need it on 14.400 at least !!!!! I am sure I am not the only one with this problem. So far as I know DB6NT made quite a lot of 144/14 and 432/14 MHz transvertors. I am sure the improvement in overall performance would be significant. The 14 MHz as IF is used due to poor design of other Radios they perform much better on 20m than on 10m. The improvement in dynamic range is significant - for sure over 10dB probably closer to 15 dB. I have not tried yet to measure if there is some difference in ORION (and never have found any info) - how ever I do have the transvertors with IF 14 MHz and I am unable to change them to 144/28. To make the long story short this makes ORIONs a unusable on 144 for me. I believe the solution would be VERY SIMPLE - just to allow operation of ORIONs up to let's say 14.410 or better up to 14.500 MHz. I would love to use them in JULY VHF contest - 1.st weekend of July. Can you help me PLEASE.

73 !

Jiri - OK1RI
(probalby well known on HF on VHF better known as OK1KIM or OL4A)

PS. - Same is valid for OK1RF with the second ORION I bought.

PS2 - If interested in having a look on a couple of 2m antennas - together 37 booms - total 202 m of booms with 397 elements "only" - have a look at http://www.ol4a.com/Contests/pd2003/galery/P7040014.html and around.