Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ firmware rev.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ firmware rev.
From: "Mike Hyder -N4NT-" <mike_n4nt@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:32:13 -0400
Steve, there are apparently trade-off's that must be made to appease the nit
pickers who hang 'round here.  They find some little thing "wrong" and carp
on it until it becomes a huge problem.  Then Ten-Tec will make some software
/ firmware "update" to appease them but the side effect of the update may
well be to create other problems or to exacerbate something else to the
extent it becomes a problem.

The only complete solution to the problems of the day would seem to be for
the rig to have no shared circuits in the signal paths.  This means the
transmitter and receiver can be contained within one box and can share
frequency determining circuitry (except local oscillator frequencies which
are explained below) but otherwise be independent signal paths.  That will
eliminate the time delays of the switching between receive state and
transmit state.

I have a vague feeling that the trickiest problem encountered is the slight
shift in the local oscillator when going from the transmit state to the
receive state.  In my Triton, for instance, the local oscillator shifts from
9,000.000 to 9,000.750 MHz.  The Triton can shift this local oscillator's
frequency faster than a rig can shift a PLL synthesized local oscillator.
In general, it would seem that there might be a couple of ways to handle the
needed shift in local oscillator frequency(ies):
1. use independent, continuously running local oscillators, shield them
adequately, and switch their outputs on and off as needed.
2. use VHF frequencies for the PLL local oscillator so the lock times would
be quicker, then use a frequency divider to get down to the needed IF
injection frequency.

With the Omni VI+ there was a hue and cry about a "micro-chirp."  I surmise
the issue was the rig's going into the transmit state before the local
oscillator had stabilized.  To correct this problem, I surmise that Ten-Tec
introduced a slight delay in the switching so the transmitter would not be
enabled until the local oscillator had stabilized.  I'm talking out of my
hat but believe this may have had the negative effect on QSK that you note
with version 1.03.

There are lessons in all this.
1 The human ear is an extremely effective detector of micro-chirps, etc.
2 There are some really picky people in the world who demand perfection.
3 Ten-Tec is sensitive to customer's reporting and endeavors to please.
4 Perfection is not possible (even for Ten-Tec).
5 Sometimes the "cure" is worse than the "problem" was.
6 From a manufacturer's standpoint it makes sense to make a rig, fill it
with epoxy and sell it.  If people are not satisfied with it, they can buy
your version II filled with epoxy.  Likewise your version III... When users
report problems, smile nicely at them and make a note of their complaint.
Use your accumulated notes in the advertising for the next version of your
rig so that you can report all the "enhanced features."

For every person on this reflector who seems so unhappy with the performance
of a rig, there are probably a thousand who are using the same rig and are
just as happy as clams.  We see what we look for...  If we look for
problems, we'll find them (see #4 above).  If we look for on-the-air
contacts, we'll find those, too.  (Look in the archives for the story of the
medical school student's buying the stereo for his dad.)

So for truly picky people, my suggestion for happy operating is to choose
one of the following:
A. Switch from CW to SSB, a much more forgiving mode.
B. Instead of CW, consider use of AOL's Instant Messenger.
C. If insistent on staying with CW, then either copy code with a computer or
a telegraph sounder and keep the receiver's speaker volume turned all the
way down.  The telegraph sounder is a truly capital idea ! !  You'd be
amazed at how relaxing it is to operate using just a sounder and a cootie
with no sidetone -- no tones, no static, no microchirp...  pure pleasure !

73, Mike N4NT