Re: [TenTec] Omni VI and power supply occilation???

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI and power supply occilation???
From: "J. Reed" <jhreed@chilitech.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:32:01 -0400
  From: denton
  To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
  Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2005 11:14
  Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI and power supply occilation???

  I recently purchased a used Omni VI that quit transmitting, sent it in to TT
  for repair and alingment. TT replaced the finals and some other work...
  I recieved the repaired Omni yesterday and wasted no time getting back on
  the air.
  This morning....no rf out AGAIN!!! Exact same sympthons as before.
  I made a call to the TT repair department, and they said since I run a
  homebrew power supply, I may have an ocillation from the power supply that
  is destroying the finals in the Omni.
  What ocillation??
  I have used this power supply for years. It is currently feeding an FT 990
  and uhf/vhf radio without problems. The power supply has fed various TT hf
  rigs thru the years without problem. Is there something unique about an Omni
  that will not allow it to be used in my station on the existing power
  supply??
  The power supply is currently hooked up to a pair of absorption mat deep
  cycle batteries with a blocking diode between the B+ and the batteries. It
  has been used this way for quite some time without problem, and the power
  supply alone is capable of 35 amps continous all day long.
  TT also tried to tell me this morning that I may have to run the Omni, when
  it gets back from being repaired a second time, on a separate power supply
  that will shut down when it detects ocillation.
  Anyone run across this before...thanks....