[TenTec] Orion II, value lost, scared to say more

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion II, value lost, scared to say more
From: Mike <mac@Arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:40:26 -0700 (PDT)
I took delivery of my Orion June 1st, 2005.  I assumed that, more than 2 years
after introduction, that the radio operated as advertised.

It does not.

When I asked about this, service responded that "well, it has computers inside,
and you're going to have to get used to rebooting the radio just like you
reboot your computer."

Yikes!  Twilight Zone?

I checked to be sure I had called the right company...

I've owned _nothing_ but Ten Tec HF radios except when I started as a novice
with a DX-60A.  I've been an unceasing salesman for Ten Tec on the air, off the
air, and on the net.  I continued to poo-poo the reports that the Orion s/w was
"buggy", and so, against the advice of my NorCal contest/DX buddies, decided to
get one anyway.

A _lot_ of it works _most_ of the time; but one doesn't buy the top-end radio
to ragchew on the Geritol net.  Active, kick-butt hams want a top-notch radio
that works.  All the time.  Doesn't glitch.  Produces uncompromising
performance.  Always.

Orion is "almost" there.  But isn't it just a wee bit disappointing that it
_still_ has bugs?  Imagine if your cellphone didn't work right, and, after 2
years, it still didn't have all the features working.  People would not
tolerate it.  Ditto for your printer, DVD player, HDTV, car, etc.

So why is there an "Orion II" when the original isn't quite ready for Prime
Time?  Well, it's no secret to those of us that design products that after
you've built something, you can usually figure out a few things you can do
better on the "next one".

So, Orion II should come as no surprise or shock.

What is absolutely astonishing to me, however, is the value of my unit just
lost $1500 or more (!).

I completely discount those that say that the Orion will hold high relative
value.  I offer as proof how many people talk about using their Corsairs?
Like, nobody, since I've been reading this list.  Corsair IIs?  Heck one guy
says he as a couple of 'em!

So, I'd much prefer to have an O2, as I think the the value will remain higher.
 (I believe the changes in the O2 are mostly cosmetic.)

I'd like to say more, but I fear that my option to purchase future TT gear is
at stake, so I will post no more to this list because, apparently,  "what you
say can and will be used against you".

Please contact me privately if you wish to discuss any of this.

Thank you, and QRT.

-Mike K3MC

k3mc@arrl.net