Re: [TenTec] RF Getting back into Rig Problem

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>,k3ndm@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RF Getting back into Rig Problem
From: Dave Tipton <dave@lodave.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 09:32:38 -0800 (PST)
Thanks to all for your suggestions.  It seems that this is a fairly common
issue.  Here are the things I've gleaned.

  1)  Antenna, albeit resonant, being so close to the shack (20 feet overhead)
may be apt to coupling to ground in the rain.
  2)  Toroids, Toroids, Toroids.  At least 1 for each input to the rig,
including on the power leads.
  3) I need to install an earth ground, and potentially share it with my
satellite TV's ground.
  4)  TenTec needs to seriously look at this issue, because it sounds like it's
a VERY common one and maybe indicative of a design flaw.

  In regards to number 4, I still love this rig.  I will not be giving it up
any time soon.  Just need to make some mods to the way things are set up.

G <goofyham@highstream.net> wrote:
  I had a problem with my O1 & O2 with the TT 706 mic. Key stuck and RF in the
audio. I found that when I pointed the beam right over the shack the
problems started. I was able to eliminate almost all the problems by taking
the 706 mic apart and using kitchen foil placing it around the little PC
board pre amp and leaving a tab to put under one of the bottoming mounting
screws, that grounded the foil. I first put black tape on the board to
insulate it from the foil. Yes, the shack is grounded to a common 2, 8 foot
ground rods 5 feet apart.
I also found last year when I had the key stuck problem it turned out to be
the PTT button switch. It was bad. Had to bang on it to get back to receive.
My 2 cents.
George