[TenTec] Corsair II

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Corsair II
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 13:41:46 -0400
NN8B:
 >What are you guy's opinions about the Corsair II?

         Peter Hart G3SJX has been doing Product
Reviews for RSGB's RadCom Magazine for many
years.  He gave a talk at the 2005 RSGB HF
Convention titled "How well do our radios perform?"

         Results from his tests included 48 rigs
tested over many years.  They included the latest
rigs except the FTdx9000 which was not out at that
time.  Peter likes two primary metrics of a rig's
receiver front-end performance:

1.  IMD Dynamic Range (3 kHz spacing)
2.  Reciprocal Mixing (aka Phase) Noise (3 kHz spacing)

The Corsair II was #2 (by 1 dB to Orion) for IMD and
#1 (by 1 dB over Orion) for Reciprocal Mixing Noise.

         Although there might be serviceability
issues for a rig that old, I would feel Peter's
tests gave Corsair II a very solid endorsement.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV