[TenTec] Noise Reduction Setting

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Noise Reduction Setting
From: "Emil Borys" <eborys@martinauto.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 12:19:55 -0600
Charles and Kim,
I have a new O II, current firmware, purchased from TenTec about a month
ago.  I also have experienced the same phenomenon with the DSP NR.
Regardless of signal levels, Atten, RF Gain, and Audio settings.. even with
DSP at 1.. a CW signal becomes distorted when enabling DSP NR.

Seeing that CW is virtually my only mode of operation, it is somewhat
disquieting, pun intended, that an advertised feature doesn't function.  I
called TenTec and spoke, briefly, to someone in their 'service' department,
about the malfunction.  I received a rather gruff and abrupt, "There's
nothing wrong with the Orion, read the owner's manual, goodbye."

If you gentlemen come up with a set of control parameters that allow the use
of DSP NR with CW, please post your solution.

Thanks and 73,
Emil
W9NM

Kim,

  Under the same conditions when the NR is on in any position I have raspy
CW reception. Do you experience the same with your Orion II NR?

Charles, K0CW

Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
  I have the O II, 2.037J firmware. The manual says that different
noise reduction settings affect how long the DSP takes to decide
what's nose and what's signal, but that the end result is the same. I
thought this odd, because it seems there's no point in using anything
but the "fastest" setting.

In playing with it on CW, this doesn't appear to be the case:
different settings definitely result in different amounts of noise
reduction, and the lower settings seem to do their job immediately,
but not as aggressive as the higher settings. Intuitively, this is
what I'd expect.

Has the NR changed in later firmware versions and the manual failed
to keep? Or, has the manual always been in error?

Cheers,

Kim Elmore, N5OP
<<<<