Re: [TenTec] Orion Repaired and Back to V1.373b5

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Repaired and Back to V1.373b5
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 13:41:59 -0500
I'm not disagreeing with Barry, but I think the choice between V1 and V2
depends on what you do with the radio. I use it almost exclusively for
contesting. For me, the most important features are IMD rejection, selectivity
and perhaps sensitivity, in that order. I think V1 and V2 are almost
indistinguishable in those areas.

I should note that I rarely operate SSB and use the sub-receiver only when
chasing DX, which I don't do much these days (got 'em all.) I don't use
diversity reception.

There are secondary, and sometimes subtle, differences in other areas that may
or may not come into play for me in contests. I've used 1.373b5 more than any
other version, so I'm more familiar with how it works. It's done a good job for
me, enough to win CQ WPX CW USA SOAB HP from KT1V in 2006. My chief complaint
about this version is that it sounds "noisier" than V2 and some of the early V1
releases. By noisier, I mean the level of background noise when no signals are
in the passband appears to my ears to be somewhat loud, grating, fatiguing and
annoying, especially when operating with full break-in (no delay.) I generally
have to lower the RF Gain for the audio to be acceptable. But at the same time,
when signals are in the passband, the S/N is great and I don't have any problem
with noise.

I've tried V2 several times in contests, and until recently I almost
immediately stopped using it and downloaded 1.373b5. While V2 audio seems less
noisy to me, I had severe problems with the AGC when running large pileups.
When there were a lot of signals in the passband, they all sounded same and I
had difficulty picking out a single call or even part of a call. I had the same
problem with the FT-1000MP, which apparently was the result of the AGC being
too fast, even in the slow setting (INRAD had a mod to add an RC delay to the
AGC, but it only helped a little.) After running into this problem in V2 again
in a couple of contest this summer, I finally realized that I might be able to
deal with it by adjusting the V2 AGC settings. The reason this didn't occur to
me before is that during a big pileup I don't have time to think about tweaking
the radio -- it's all I can do to keep the rate up -- and there's almost no
time to actually do the tweaking. But in CQ WW CW I made a c
 onscious effort to try different AGC settings when I had trouble picking out
calls. That seemed to do the trick -- I had some of the biggest, longest runs
on 20m I've ever had, with the rate meter pushing 200/hr a lot of the time. I
wish I could tell you the exact settings, but I wasn't paying a lot of
attention to where I ended up. It was either at the stock fast setting, or
actually at a prog setting with a little more decay than med. I didn't play
around much with threshold or hang time. Perhaps in the next contest.

One thing I like about V2 is the ability to change various front panel settings
while in the menus. That can be very helpful during a contest.

Ever since I got the Orion-I back in 2003, I've used QSK while running. Before
that, I never, ever used QSK. The thumping in other brand radios was just too
awful. But the Orion's QSK quality has varied substantially over the years,
with different firmware releases, and there was a hardware anomaly that
produced a click in the left headphone (we called it the "WC1M lament" on the
beta test reflector.) I fixed that with help from Ten-Tec. Still, in V2 and the
late V1 releases, the QSK response time is just too slow, and there are too
many audio artifacts for it to be as smooth as it was back in the early (and
buggy) V1 releases (at least, those releases *appeared* better to my ears --
could be bad audio memory.) Anyway, in this year's CQ WW CW I finally threw in
the towel and set the CW delay to mimic VOX. That was a lot more pleasant and
didn't seem to affect my QSO rates at all.

So, I've moved on to V2, at least for the time being. I'm interested to learn
what AGC adjustments others are making to improve the audio.

73, Dick WC1M