Re: [TenTec] OmniVI Plus Over Drive Amp

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OmniVI Plus Over Drive Amp
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 20:03:46 -1000
Hi Jim,

That 300 watt mark on the bar-graph indicator means nothing if the
circuit is not calibrated to a known standard.

On the CONTROL BOARD there are three potentiometers that are fed by the
forward power sensing circuit. One controls the FWD meter calibration,
one controls the bar-graph RF OUTPUT indicator and the other controls
the level to the fault (overdrive) comparator. On the same board there
are two potentiometers that are fed by the collector current sensing and
summing circuit, one controls the IC meter calibration and the other
controls the level to the fault comparator.

Most likely one of the pots that feeds the comparator is not adjusted
correctly. You need to have the pots that control the meter calibration
adjusted correctly before you attempt to adjust the ones that feed the
comparators. If you start making adjustments, without some kind of
separate measuring devices, such as a Bird 43 RF watt meter and a 20 Amp
full scale DC Ammeter, you will end up with the settings even further
into the unknown zone, which could be disastrous for your nice amplifier.

DE N6KB