Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 83, Issue 9

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 83, Issue 9
From: Carter <k8vt@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 08:45:45 -0500
DAVID HELLER, K3TX wrote:

>  No, I can't design or build the eqivalent of today's Ten-Tec but
>  anyone can at least try to troubleshoot when the guy who built it
>  will walk you through on the phone.

I would respectfully disagree with your statement above. Just -anyone-
may not be 'walked through' a repair over the phone -- for numerous reasons:
(I am excepting the very basic cases of "Is such and so cable plugged
in" or "Is the 'x' switch in the correct position").

1) Our ham population is aging. Many may not have the steadiest hands or
the best eyesight.

2) Some may not have a DMM, VOM or any other test equipment.

3) Please don't overlook the diversity of our ham population (one of our
greatest strengths, I believe). We have a lot of hams -with- an
electronics background, but many hams that may not: a plumber, a bus
driver, whatever. They may very well be capable operators or contesters
or rag chewers, but just don't have an electronics background.

>  but look at those who BUY a dipole!  Any excuse?

I've personally never done that, but sure, there's an 'excuse'. Here are
just two of many possible reasons: One that comes to mind is 'one stop
shopping'. Deal with one vendor, instead of one for the wire, insulators
and transmission line -- convenience. Another reason might be they don't
own a tape measure long enough to measure the length of wire needed and
don't want to have to buy or borrow one. Pick any one of twenty other
reasons. Buying a dipole may not be for everyone, but I wouldn't
universally condemn it.

Just my $0.02 worth

73, Carter  K8VT