Re: [TenTec] Final Firmware O2

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Final Firmware O2
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 22:52:27 -0500
If memory serves... didn't ON4UN sell his ORIONs to finance the purchase of
ORION II's?

I seem to recall a lot of people gleeful recounting the sale, but somehow,
the reason why never got as much publicity.

I also have to raise an eyebrow when I read about a manufacturer bragging
about the equipment at a particular contest or DX station, or DXpedition.
Was the equipment purchased by the owner(s) of the station (or the operators
of the DXpedition), who told the manufacturer about it after the fact... or
was it donated, loaned, or sold at a deep discount in exchange for the right
to advertise?  That can make a BIG difference, if you're going to try to do
an apples-to-apples comparison.

And frankly, I must echo a sentiment that has been made more than once on
this reflector, to the effect that some people seem to trying to hold
Ten-Tec (and for that matter Elecraft) to a higher standard than other
manufacturers.  To be blunt, I've gotten more support from Scott and the
service guys for my Corsair II than I have from Kenwood for my TS-480S (and
frankly, if I hadn't won that rig at a hamfest, I wouldn't go out and buy
it).

73