[TenTec] Paragon - easy to work on?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon - easy to work on?
From: Ben Hall <kd5byb@kd5byb.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 14:22:09 -0500
Good afternoon all,

When my father-in-law, KD4WJ passed away, I inherited some of his ham
gear.  Some of y'all may remember my question about the Scout and ALC
light which turned out to be a mis-adjusted ALC pot.

Yesterday I turned my attention to the Paragon.  It gave me some fits
starting up - the receiver was intermittent, all the pots were scratchy,
and it seems like the memory back-up battery is dead as the clock
started at 12:00.

Interestingly, the intermittent receiver fixed itself when I
accidentally hit TUNE for a split second trying to turn on the 6.0KHz
filter.  All I can guess was that the transmit / receive relay had dirty
contacts.  ;)

Most of the pots stopped being scratchy when worked back-n-forth a
couple of times, with the exception of the RF GAIN pot.

So I've got to try some Deoxit on that pot and change the memory back-up
battery.  So my question is - how hard are these Paragons to work on?

thanks much and 73,
ben, kd5byb
--
Ben Hall, kd5byb@kd5byb.net - ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED.