Re: [TenTec] wither CW?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] wither CW?
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 14:09:05 -0700
On Mon, 24 May 2010 15:47:58 -0500, Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP wrote:

> We soon began seeing a number of these
>entering the CW contests, albeit slow at first, but they were participating.
>Today, many have become outstanding CW ops.
>Some of those had thought for many years that they could never make it.

EXACTLY! A contributing factor may be that our club (and probably yours) has
regular meetings where guys get to know each other, participate in a
competitive way as a club against other clubs (like yours), the new guys
figure out that CW can be fun, theyre offered seats at club stations to
participate, they watch the other guys do it and learn their tricks, get both
motivation and assistance in building their code speed, and have more fun
each time they use their new skills.

I suspect that many members of this list are not members of local clubs. I
also suspect that those who are not would have a happier view of the current
state of ham radio and have a lot more fun with it if they found and joined a
good local club. And when youre looking, consider a contest club. Were a
competitive bunch, and we want your log to add to our club score, so unless
youre a real scumbag, were going to welcome you with open arms. Most of us
are active sorts of guys who will pitch in and help another ham with his
antennas, his rig, his computer interface, etc. And although many of us are
old farts and remember the good old days and the good old gear, including Ten
Tec, Hammerlund, Collins, and Drake, were USERS of rigs, not collectors. :)

73,

Jim K9YC