Re: [TenTec] OT: Scopes

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Scopes
From: "James C. Owen, III" <k4cgy_list@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 17:04:05 -0800 (PST)
I don't know how anyone can easily trouble shoot without a scope. When I was
gainfully employed it was the one piece of test equipment that was dead center
on the workbench and it's still center at home.  Scopes can be found cheaply if
you work the hamfest or watch ebay. My most recent one I wasn't even planning
to purchase, since I already had four. But at the Frost Fest in Richmond the
first of the month when everyone was packing up to leave, one guy had a
Tektronix 7904 for sale. If you're not familar with it it's a 500 Mhz scope
with space for four plug-ins and 20 years ago cost in the area of $10,000. He
had a $25.00 price on it and kept trying to get me to purchase it. I kept
resisting until he said "I don't want to cart it around anymore, you can have
it for $5.00". Well guess what, I bought it and when checking it out found it
worked perfectly and even looks to be in or quite close to calibration. My
point with this  long spiel is, you don't
 have to pay too much if you look in the right places and be patient. Now for
my recommendations: The Sencore SC-61 waveform analyzer is a 60 Mhz scope with
built in digital  DC voltmeter, frequency counter and Peak to Peak AC
voltmeter. You can find it on Ebay usually around $100.00 but if patient much
less. I have two and paid less than $75.00 each. The next is the Tektronic 465
or 475 again around $100-$150 or less. Just look at any of the swap sheets and
wait till a nice one comes along.  BTW you can fine great signal generators as
well. I picked up my HP-606 for $75.00 on ebay and my HP-608E at a hamfest for
$15.00.
73 Jim