Re: [TenTec] OT: Scopes

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Scopes
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:04:43 +0100
James,

I would recommend that you do not buy one without your Elmer present,
unless:

 - 1)  You know the OM personally who selling it
 - 2)  The OM is willing to give you "one week money back, no questions
asked", and then have you Elmer look at it
 - 3)  You have too much money and need to get rid of it.

I think some of us can help you with that 3rd point. (hi)

The amount of risk also kind of depends on what you want to do with it.
For tracing RF signals like Scott needed to do with his Omni, or for looking
at ripple on a 12v dc power supply, the risk is low.  This is all that
'most' hams need to do.

For making accurate measurements of timing, spikes on leading edge of
signals, etc. the risk is higher.  In fact, for that application, not only
does the scope need to be in good calibration, so does the probe!  A
slightly misaligned probe can give you inaccurate readings on these
measurements too.  Luckily this is not the application that most hams need.

73
Rick, DJ0IP