Re: [TenTec] New TT Amp

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New TT Amp
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 21:09:16 -0500
I would suppose that the 405 amps are hard to support with replacement
parts now.  The packaging was also dated.

There have been many queries on QRP reflectors for sources for a 5 watt
to 100 watt amp.  There were some kit amps offered from various sources,
(a couple), but not widely advertised and not a high production rate of
those kits.  Most were more like 5 watts to 20 watts or so.

The new kit makes sense in that there are lots of 5 watt radios of
various makers out there, and those new to QRP but coming from a 100
watt orientation, want to have an upward migration for their 5 watt
radio to become 100 watts, after the QRP cuteness factor wears a bit.

These things probably work in cycles just like car designs.  We had big
cars in 50's, then went to small cars in 70's gas crisis, and gradually
went back toward big cars, and now with high gas prices, we are seeing
really small cars like the Smart Car, and some of the Fiat Italian cars,
along with the Mini Cooper, making an impact.

-Stuart Rohre
K5KVH