Re: [TenTec] RASCAL interface and the Orion 565

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RASCAL interface and the Orion 565
From: d.e.warnick@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 13:17:59 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks, Bob. The simple thing would have been to put the FSK on pin 5 of the
8-pin connector when the Orion was designed. I know this sounds simple, but I'm
sure there was an engineering reason for the change . It could be as simple as
where a trace needed to be on a PC board. I changed the cable rather than the
transceiver because I didn't a non-standard rig in case I sell it. (Can't
imagine that.)

My reason for using the FSK is that I never have to worry about setting a
correct transmit audio level in RTTY. You're right about the guy o the other
end not knowing the difference. Modern rigs don't have the problem of opposite
sideband generation the old boat anchors did. PSK is still an AFSK mode and the
due diligence is required there when setting it up. Guess I'm getting lazy in
my old age

Also, thanks for all you do on the reflector. Always a good read, even when I
don't need the info currently. Ya' just never know

73

Dave

WA3F

p.s. Still usin g the choke baluns you showed me years ago