Re: [TenTec] RASCAL interface and the Orion 565

To: Rick W <ve7tk@yahoo.ca>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RASCAL interface and the Orion 565
From: d.e.warnick@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 11:28:33 +0000 (UTC)

Rick,

You are 100% correct about the TenTec supplied cable for the FSK lead. The
cable provided is the same as for the Omni VII. Unfortunately, when the Orion
II was designed (I have both Orion II & Omni VII) the FSK lead was moved from
pin 5 to pin 7 of the connector. This cost me a lot of time because I blindly
trusted the supplied cable in setting up FSK operation of the Orion II.

A call to TenTec was answered with a statement that the cable is a standard
commercial product and that no 'correct' cable is available. So, the answer was
to replace the connector on the supplied cable with the connector provided
goodies bag that came with the Orion II and put the leads on the correct pins.
It's do-able (my 68 year old eyes and shaky hands don't help) but is one of my
very few rubs with TenTec. It's absurd to me that an 'incorrect' cable is
supplied with transceiver in this price class.

73

Dave

WA3F